Thursday, March 31, 2011

Quick Take: Glasses-Free 3D Technology

Disclaimer: This is NOT an end-all review of Glasses-free 3D, just a preliminary assessment based on current technology.
        Today I tried a Nintendo 3DS for the first time, and got to experience one of these amazing new screens, but my first impressions are not good. Basically, as I understand Glasses-Free 3D (from hereon called GF3D), it requires two screens slightly offset, and it displays a slightly different image on each one to trick your eyes into slightly crossing, then your brain reinterprets the eyes-slightly-crossed-image from the slightly-offset-double-screen as a new image which appears 3D. However, as far as I could tell, it is not possible for GF3D to "pop out" of the screen, it only allows you to "stare into" the screen, but I could be wrong on this.
        I located the 3DS in my local Best Buy, and began playing whatever piece of shovelware it was running, it was something to do with flying around an island, but I didn't really care. The screen was in 2D, and I pushed the slider all the way up for max 3D, and instantly my eyes were overwhelmed. Then I took it down to just under halfway, and the effect was amazing. I really can't describe it, it was 3D, right in front of me, but it didn't seem cheesy or forced, just a very natural sense of depth. I played the shovelware for a few minutes, continually trying to get myself to acclimate to the maximum 3D, but to no avail. The best I could do was to get 2 inches from the screen and then it almost looked alright, but that was fine, the halfway setting did its job marvelously. If you are wondering, "Is 3D really possible without glasses?"..."Yes! Yes, it is!" I personally found it to be more enjoyable than the movie theater pop-out-of-the-screen stuff.
        But now for the bad news, which unfortunately outweighs the good news. I've already explained that GF3D requires that your eyes be just slightly crossed, and this is quite fatiguing. Withing 5 minutes my eyes hurt; now I am no objective sample group, but I am a potential 3DS owner. I cannot buy a 3DS if the 3D makes my eyes hurt in 5 minutes with the slider at less than halfway. Don't get me wrong, I am not faulting Nintendo for my issues with GF3D, the current technology causes my eyes to quickly fatigue and begin to ache, and that is not their fault. But now for the other problem, focal points. I have seen many reviews slamming the GF3D for having an incredibly precise working range: that you must look exactly straight on at the screen, and be a very specific distance away. For me at least, the problem is nowhere near that bad: I did have to look mostly straight on, but I could tilt a bit, but only just a bit, and still see the screen alright. And as for focal point, it does seem related to the strength that you have the 3D at, but was pretty flexible, as for me the range at which i could perceive the 3D was a few feet, and didn't seem to be any problem.
        In summary, GF3D has two main problems, and one big advantage: it causes eye fatigue and pain VERY quickly, it must be viewed nearly straight on, but it does, undeniably, give a 3D effect. For me the viewing angles aren't a deal-breaker, but the eye fatigue IS. I am disappointed with Nintendo for releasing a GF3D device while the technology is so young and still causes so much eye strain. I am equally dissapointed with phone manufacturers preparing to release devices with GF3D displays as well, the novelty of the tech will sell the device, but then people will really see what they've gotten into. The technology simply isn't there yet, and who knows if there ever will be a way to do GF3D without eye strain. As much as I hate 3D glasses, maybe they are truly necessary, only time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. So......will Microsoft and Sony attempt their version of glasses-less 3D entertainment? Will the PSP hope that the third time is the charm? What about Apple?

    ReplyDelete